Haagen Dasz have a chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirled through it. Unfortunately, we don’t get that flavour in South Africa. If it was convenient, I’m sure that my husband would nip over there, just for a tub of it. This is my experiment to try and get as close as possible. He says I have to keep trying…(I think that means it was good).
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
For the ice cream
2 cups double thick cream
4 heaped Tbsp good-quality cocoa
200g good-quality dark chocolate (62% or more), chopped
1 cup milk
5 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
For the peanut butter swirl
1/2 cup peanut butter
¼ cup cream
- In a medium pot heat the cream until it is bubbling at the edges.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cocoa and chocolate until it’s well combined and melted.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar, vanilla and salt until pale. Add the milk and gently pour into the warm cream, stirring.
- Return to stove stirring constantly over medium heat until the eggs thicken a bit, into a custard.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours
- When you are ready to churn, heat the peanut butter with the cream.
- Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instruction and drizzle the swirl into the ice cream when it is almost ready.
Decorate with crushed peanut brittle for serving.